As part of my stake calling, Cultural Arts specialist, I get to be REALLY involved with the Youth Cultural Celebration. In response to a request from President Monson, the stakes that feed into the Atlanta temple are going to put on a celebration of music and dance on the stage at the Atlanta Civic Center.
It’s been really interesting and a huge learning experience to try and put on such a huge production. I’m just responsible for the Lilburn Stake. We are Dancing the “76 trombones”, “Country Swing”, & “Hills & Hallows”. My job was to make sure that all the kids knew their dance, knew where to stand, had the right outfit, and that they were where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be there.
It really has been neat to see how fast a huge production can be put together if everyone pitches in. The kids had fun and their parents were running around crazy. I think in the end, testimonies were strengthened and these youth felt like a real part of the rededication of the temple. They are starting to see what a huge deal and what a blessing it is to have a temple so close.
The production came off without a hitch. Our kids did great. The 76 trombones costume switch was REALLY impressive. Everyone wants to learn the country swing. Hills & Hallows was my favorite.
Just a back story: when they were assigning the dances for each stake the bulk of our stake was not assigned to a dance. Everyone was freaking out. We were supposed to start learning the dance that we were not assigned in just a few days. During this time I was in close contact with Brother and Sister Alba, the couple whos calling it was to pull the whole thing off. During one of our conversations I mentioned that I had noticed a dance on the website that was not assigned to anyone, yet. It was the Hill & Hallows dance and I loved it the first time I watched it. Sister Alba started to tell me that she didn’t know who was going to do that dance. That it was really choreographed for a group of young girls. It tells the story of girls dancing in the meadow after a days work. She really wanted a group of beehives to do it, but she thought it may have to be cut. “OOOH, did I mention that I am the beehive advisor in my ward? Did I also mention that I am a dance teacher?” they were so excited and so was I. My daughter, my beehives, and the Dacula ward beehives got to dance the sweetest dance in the celebration. I was so proud of them. They looked so cute in their costumes. The dance itself was not that difficult, but because there were only 26 of them they had lots of formation changes. I have a very special girl in my beehive class that needed a very special partner. After much prayer and pondering the answer came. I knew that if she could do the dance that I wanted her to be a part of it. She really needed to feel like a part of our group. Chloe McWilliams, a Laurel in our ward and the young woman that helped me teach the beeves their dance, agreed to come home early from a dance convention to dance with her. What a great experience for both of them. What a superb example she is to the beehives and all of our young woman and to me. I was really impressed with her and the love that she showed
I learned a lot during this assignment. I’ve learned what kind of leader I want to be. I’ve learned what kind of follower I want to be. I’ve learned that sometimes you have to be the leader and the follower at the same time. I’ve learned that kids just want to have fun. If you want to keep their attention then you had better make it fun or you’ve already lost them. I’ve learned how many e-mails my box can hold. I’ve learned that I have a hard time accepting praise. I’ve had my testimony of our living prohet strengthened. He spoke with Savannah before the show!!! He asked her if she thought his tie was appropriate for the occasion. She said he was funny and that when he left she had to fan her eyes so that she wouldn’t cry. I’m so grateful that my daughter had that experience.

Nanner Bug
It’s been really interesting and a huge learning experience to try and put on such a huge production. I’m just responsible for the Lilburn Stake. We are Dancing the “76 trombones”, “Country Swing”, & “Hills & Hallows”. My job was to make sure that all the kids knew their dance, knew where to stand, had the right outfit, and that they were where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be there.
It really has been neat to see how fast a huge production can be put together if everyone pitches in. The kids had fun and their parents were running around crazy. I think in the end, testimonies were strengthened and these youth felt like a real part of the rededication of the temple. They are starting to see what a huge deal and what a blessing it is to have a temple so close.
The production came off without a hitch. Our kids did great. The 76 trombones costume switch was REALLY impressive. Everyone wants to learn the country swing. Hills & Hallows was my favorite.
Just a back story: when they were assigning the dances for each stake the bulk of our stake was not assigned to a dance. Everyone was freaking out. We were supposed to start learning the dance that we were not assigned in just a few days. During this time I was in close contact with Brother and Sister Alba, the couple whos calling it was to pull the whole thing off. During one of our conversations I mentioned that I had noticed a dance on the website that was not assigned to anyone, yet. It was the Hill & Hallows dance and I loved it the first time I watched it. Sister Alba started to tell me that she didn’t know who was going to do that dance. That it was really choreographed for a group of young girls. It tells the story of girls dancing in the meadow after a days work. She really wanted a group of beehives to do it, but she thought it may have to be cut. “OOOH, did I mention that I am the beehive advisor in my ward? Did I also mention that I am a dance teacher?” they were so excited and so was I. My daughter, my beehives, and the Dacula ward beehives got to dance the sweetest dance in the celebration. I was so proud of them. They looked so cute in their costumes. The dance itself was not that difficult, but because there were only 26 of them they had lots of formation changes. I have a very special girl in my beehive class that needed a very special partner. After much prayer and pondering the answer came. I knew that if she could do the dance that I wanted her to be a part of it. She really needed to feel like a part of our group. Chloe McWilliams, a Laurel in our ward and the young woman that helped me teach the beeves their dance, agreed to come home early from a dance convention to dance with her. What a great experience for both of them. What a superb example she is to the beehives and all of our young woman and to me. I was really impressed with her and the love that she showed
I learned a lot during this assignment. I’ve learned what kind of leader I want to be. I’ve learned what kind of follower I want to be. I’ve learned that sometimes you have to be the leader and the follower at the same time. I’ve learned that kids just want to have fun. If you want to keep their attention then you had better make it fun or you’ve already lost them. I’ve learned how many e-mails my box can hold. I’ve learned that I have a hard time accepting praise. I’ve had my testimony of our living prohet strengthened. He spoke with Savannah before the show!!! He asked her if she thought his tie was appropriate for the occasion. She said he was funny and that when he left she had to fan her eyes so that she wouldn’t cry. I’m so grateful that my daughter had that experience.
Nanner Bug
My friend Judith
Beauty is a process
An involved Process
Nan and Grandpa Baugh
Nan and Grandma Baugh
76 Trombone Boys
No comments:
Post a Comment