Well, never fear posterity, Granny Baugh is no quitter!

In January I downloaded a free training schedule for a half marathon. However, as I could not run the first weeks order, I filed that one away and downloaded a 5K training schedule. It was much more appropriate for my fitness level. I really was impressed with my self, not to toot my own horn, but I had my doubts.
I hit a huge stumbling block in May. I inflamed my IT band. No running for two months. Lots of physical therapy and anti inflamatorys. Bummer. I felt pretty good the first of August and started training again. It was frustrationg that I had to back up several weeks on my program. But, I am a woman of firm resolve, and I have a husband who I love to prove wrong. So, I was back in the saddle again.
I have to pause for a moment here to say that while Mike kind of giggled at me in the beginning, he was my biggest supporter in the end. I think he was really proud of me.
As my miles grew longer I felt more and more confident that I could indeed accomplish my goal.
My Mom and Dad came out for Thanksgiving. My Mom was running the race with me. We had agreed before hand that we would each run our own race and meet up at the finish line.
Mike was the man. He had Thanksgiving dinner under control. He made the turkey, potatoes, and all the fixings. He stayed at home with the kids.
My Dad drove us to Turner Field. We left in plenty of time, but somebody stalled on the off ramp and traffic was backed up for miles on I85. Runners were getting out of their cars on the freeway. We chose not to follow suit. As soon as we exited and could see where we were supposed to go, we hopped out of the car. It was total chaos. I have never seen so many people. We couldn't even see the starting line. By the time we navagated our way to the start all of the heats had began and the 5k was lining up. We pushed and shoved our way to the front. Finally I was on my way. I couldn't find my Mom, but I figured she was a big girl and could find her way. I was just starting to jog up the first hill when I heard her yell my name. We were glad to see each other to know that we had both made it. She then set me free. She told me to go run my race. So, I did. I took off and felt really good until about mile 6. It was at this point that I realized that in our frantic frenzy we had not warmed up at all. This was what caused all the IT issues before. I pulled up and stretched as best as I could, but I knew that I would pay the price for the next couple of months.
No Pain No Gain.
On I went. I felt great (except the hip). I was not winded. I was in shape. I was ready. I finished at 2 hours and 21 minutes. I felt so much personal pride. I had done it. I had worked for 10 months to be ready for this day. Surely the world would stop and everyone would sing my praises. Nope. Nobody I knew even saw me finish. My Dad was nowhere to be found. my husband and kids were at home waiting for the phone call that said I made it. No choir sang. No poster was hung with my name on it. But, I did it. I accepted my medal. I cried silent tears of accomplishment. I hung out by myself for about an hour until I found my Dad.
My Mom's finish was a little more like what I had envisioned. My Dad and I were anxiously watching for her to come over the hill to the finish line. When she was within earshot she heard us cheering her name. As she crossed the line my Dad was snapping pictures, the announcer praised her over the loud speaker and let everyone know that "Jeanne Larsen had come all the way from Utah to run with us today." She accepted her medal and found her family waiting for her.



All in all it was a great experience. I will deffinately do it again. I have several I want to run. They have a half marathon at Disney World! Oh yeah, sign me up.

I have no idea who this guy is, but what an inspiration. Can you imagine running 13 miles like that?
No comments:
Post a Comment